(No I do not know every single fact, no I am not going to claim that every single thing posted here is 100% true)
Alright, so let’s get some facts clear before I go any further:
- Despite the media’s efforts to create a race riot or something, George Zimmerman is not white. He’s Hispanic.
- He’s a registered Democrat. So the attempts to make this a political issue of right vs left should probably be ignored.
- The investigation is on-going.
- Florida has a Stand Your Ground self-defense law. In Florida, one may use deadly force to defend themselves (in this case, a kel tec PF9)… ” He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony”
- Groups like the Black panthers have actively put a bounty on the man’s head, encouraging violence.
- Zimmerman is probably the worst neighborhood watch guy ever. Not because he’s a scumbag, but because you probably shouldn’t carry a firearm around when dealing with suspicious people. And if you’ve ever met a neighborhood watch captain, you’ll know they’re all pretty suspicious - of everything.
Ok, so let’s go through the chain of events. This is as best as I can tell after a couple days of reading, listening, watching, etc.
Mr. Dumbass neighborhood watch calls the police to report a suspicious person. He follows the individual, and stays on the line. The dispatcher says it’s not necessary (but as it’s a public place, you can pretty much follow people [The media is saying “he violated dispatcher’s orders - that’s horse shit - no such thing exists]). He got out of his car and followed for some time on foot. At some point he seems to go back to his car, although this is uncertain. He agrees to meet with police somewhere in the neighborhood. He hangs up. At some point there is the altercation. Whether Martin imitated is unknown, but as of right now it may be possible that Zimmerman was walking back to his vehicle and was attacked. Or it could be the other way around. Nobody knows yet. Anyway, so what apperently happens is Mr. Zimmerman gets his ass beat. Allegedly his nose was broken/bleeding and Martin was slamming his head on the pavement - so Zimmerman did what he thought was necessary to defend his life - he shot the kid (once).
The media is trying to make this a hate crime. It’s like they WANT a riot.
The media is trying to make this a murder - which is strictly not true. What happened to innocent until proven guilty in the court of law? We only have a rough picture of what happened.
Celebrities are advocating violence via twitter.
A known terrorist organization (yes, the Black Panthers are a terrorist organization) have put a bounty on the man’s head, despite any conviction or allowance for due process of the law.
Already “protests” have resulted in ridiculous shit like the ransack of a Walgreen’s store.
The media is claiming the police are doing nothing.
But let’s say Zimmerman is a racist. And he did just want an excuse to shoot a black kid. Does that mean we should skip due process? Does that mean he does not have the right to a fair trial? Does that mean he should fear for his life right now? Does that mean people should be advocating MORE violence? And as much as I do not approve of racism - if a man has his own opinions, he’s entitled to them. If Zimmerman did really hate African Americans, he has that right. Does that give him the right to kill someone? No.
You know, while Martin probably had some shady shit going on (as more evidence is seeming to suggest) - it doesn’t matter. He was indeed the victim here. I do not mistake that fact. He’s dead. Something happened and he’s dead. But as victims of crimes have rights, so do perpetrators.
If there was a crime committed. Which really, from my understanding of what happened, there was no crime. Martin was just walking home. Somehow they got in a fight. Somehow the guy got the shit kicked out of him and thought it was necessary to draw his weapon - he has that right. No duty to retreat. Self defense is self defense.
But let me say this: If George Zimmerman is guilty of a crime, YES, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Everyone just let the fucking police do their fucking jobs.